That’s a scary thought, isn’t it? Just picture it…You’re walking along, minding your own business, and…BAM! Not a pretty site.
While maybe not quite that graphic, for many this image isn’t far from the truth. For today’s post I wanted to get back to basics and share about a condition called Vertebral Subluxation Complex. As a doctor of chiropractic, it’s a condition I deal with daily.
Vertebral Subluxation Complex (Subluxation for short) is a term used to describe misalignments of the vertebral bones along the spine. When subluxations are present they can put stress and pressure on the surrounding nerves and cause irritation at the site, as well as interference in the communication between the brain, nerves, cells, tissues and organs connected with the affected nerves.
Here’s what you need to know…
- Subluxations don’t discriminate; regardless of your age, your gender, your race, your lifestyle, and your occupation, your health could be deteriorating due to undetected misalignments. I’ve seen subluxations equally in babies and older adults, in men and women, in office workers and construction workers, in marathon runners and couch potatoes. No one is immune.
- The body is self-regulating and self-healing…that is as long as there is no interference in its ability to function.
- Subluxations stress the nervous system. Studies repeatedly show that ninety percent of all illness and disease is linked to stress, and once you understand what stress is, and the effects of stress on the nervous system, it’s easy to understand why.
- Doctors of Chiropractic are the only health professionals who specialize in the detection and correction of Subluxation Complex.
- If you’re NOT subluxation-free, you’re NOT living to your fullest potential.
- Subluxations can result in various symptoms, and even pain, although most subluxations cause no pain at all and their full effects may not become evident for months or even years.
And, that’s what makes the condition so concerning, and the loss or deterioration of your health very real. Because subluxations often go undetected, the irritation they cause exacerbates, leading to more complicated health issues down the road. An analogy I often share with my practice members is that subluxations are similar to cavities in the teeth. Thankfully, your dentist will find a cavity before pain is felt, yet the damage has still been done. This is why I recommend, just like regular dental visits, that you receive periodic spinal evaluations to check for the presence of subluxations and other spinal abnormalities, even in the absence of pain.
If you’re in pain or experiencing symptoms, it’s time to listen to the message your body is sending you and schedule a spinal health checkup with your chiropractor today. If you’re not in pain or experiencing symptoms, get checked anyway to be safe. If you don’t have a chiropractor, it would be my pleasure to fill that role for you and your family.